Ulm, Germany: Let Me Love You


 I’ve been to Ulm twice and if you take out all the hours I was either sleeping or performing, I’ve had a total of 2 hours to explore. Neither of those hours was during prime time but goddammit, I was gonna do my best.

First time to Ulm I had no interest in exploring. I had taken a long-ish train from Zurich where I had spent the previous few days walking roughly 10 miles a day throughout Switzerland with my girlfriend. I tacked on some shows at the end of our trip to say hello to some friends and return some favors to promoters who had hooked me up in the past.

When the train pulled into the station at Ulm, I could see the Ulmer Munster, the world’s tallest church. I thought to myself, “Great, I’ve seen all the sites.” My friend Ko picked me up from the station and we went straight to the venue for the show. Afterwards, I ate some late-night falafel with my friends Thomas and Lara and then passed out. I woke up the next morning in time to eat breakfast at the hotel then get on a train to Munich.

Most of what I saw was a construction site. There were ugly, modern apartments going up, and it did not seem like the place I’d want to hang out in. The expectation of visiting a relatively unexplored Munich dwarfed any concerns over Ulm.

Fast forward a couple years and I found myself on a train back to Ulm. I was performing with my dude Dan Sullivan. Our trip was mostly Munich-based with a couple small trips out of town. This time I was going to give Ulm a chance and in order to do that I needed to do some research.

Ulm is known for a few things besides the big ass church: it’s the birthplace of Albert Einstein, they have a bread museum, they have the earliest zoomorphic statue ever found, and they have the world’s most crooked hotel. Why Ulm isn’t the newest Spring Break hot spot is beyond me.

View from Roxy stage
I mapped out some spots but I wasn’t privy to our timetable until we arrived in Ulm. To my disappointment, we were getting in late and leaving early. Again, we went straight from the train station to the show. The poetry slam at the Roxy is crazy. It’s a 700 seat theatre space and it had been sold out for weeks. This wasn’t because I was performing, its because Germans do this crazy thing where they value art.

Afterwards we walked the abandoned streets and through the construction areas to our modest hotel. Definitely a budget option but it was clean, had free wifi, and a banger breakfast. It was like the German version of a Motel 6 only the rooms didn’t smell like cigarettes and there were no meth deals going down in the room next to mine.


Street by Street, Block by Block

The plan was to meet with the rest of the poets for breakfast at 10am and then head to the train station. The museums didn’t open until 11am so I knew they were out of the question. With that option put to rest, I focused on other spots spread throughout the city that I could feasibly visit within a couple hours. I was up at 7am, packed, showered and out the door by 7:30.

The closest spot to me was a clumsy monument marking the building in which Einstein was born. I attempted to walk down one street to get there but it was closed due to construction. Then I tried another route and it too was blocked by construction. Fine, fuck you then.

Farmer Marketing
Undeterred I made a beeline to the church. The church wasn’t open but it was Saturday so vendors were setting up for a Farmer’s Market. I am white and live in the suburbs so it might shock you when I tell you I do not frequent Farmer’s Markets. There were bread stands with giant loaves that you could either eat or use to beat the shit out of your enemies. There were cheeses with various levels of funk. Locals were filling up their sensible shopping bags with veggies and meats. I had no bags, I had no interest in bringing mystery sausages back to America, but it was cold and I needed a coffee. I got a coffee from a stand and perfected my silent nod in agreement to anything a cashier while giving them a bill I know is much higher than the actual price.

It was too early to go into the Kunsthalle Weishaupt and view their collection of modern art including large pieces by Keith Haring, Jean-Michel Basquiat, and Lichtenstein. I still walked over there because out front is a large Haring sculpture called “Red Dog for Landois”. Chicago contains a criminally low amount of Haring work so any chance I get to see one up close, I’m gonna take it.

Milling around a statue is fun for a while but my time was limited. Since I wasn’t sure what else Ulm had to offer, I looked it up on Google Earth before I came. What I do is look up a city and take a look at where there are clusters of pictures. That is usually a sign that there is something interesting in that spot. I noticed a spot like that just east of the museum and headed that way.

Lemme Holler at Your Cobblestone

Once I got away from the city center, I was greeted with narrow cobblestone streets and medieval remnants. I walked through a small archway that was carved out of “Butchers Tower”, an almost 100ft tall brick tower with a heavy lean. I emerged on a path that ran along the Danube River.

Butchers Tower
Do you want to know how I know I’m getting old? One of my favorite things to do is walk along rivers. Big rivers, small rivers, famous rivers, etc. If your city has an area with fast-moving water, I want to walk adjacent to it.

The sun was out but it was by no means warm. It was maybe mid-40’s but these Germans were acting like it was high 70’s. Folks were jogging up and down the path. There were multiple rowboats in the river. Like Olympic style were you go really, really fast and have no fun. I saw fluffy, white dogs and their non-fluffy, white owners strolling about. I walked along between the river and the medieval wall admiring the graffiti along the banks on the opposite side of the river. The ducks were chilling, eating garbage and whatnot, and I entered another archway blasted into the wall.

When I emerged on the other side I was thrown into an old fishing village from the 1500’s. There is a small canal that cuts through this area and the houses are piled up next to each other along it. These are timber homes built to house the spike in fisherman, tanners, and Hungarians waiting to make the trip back home. When you cross the stone bridges that connect each side of the canal you can see some of the homes were built directly in the middle of the canal. Those houses are rad and I’d like to stay in one for maybe a week but the thought of actually living in them makes me twitchy enough to think I’d sleep in a life preserver.

Crooked-Ass Hotel
Further down the canal is a rickety ass chalet looking building that leans uncomfortably over the canal. I took a picture of it and didn’t find out until breakfast that the building is called Schhiefes Haus aka “The Most Crooked Hotel in the World” according to Guinness. It for real looks like its sinking into the canal. I have been assured the hotel has adjusted the furniture so the beds lay flat. If this hotel were in Chicago, the owner would have to be paying mega bribes to keep the city from shutting it down.

The shops and restaurants were all closed, I took enough pictures, so I left because I didn’t want to creep out the early rising residents of Ulm. I moved on to the last item on my list, a bizarre and ugly tribute to Einstein.

The Einstein Fountain is indeed ugly. It’s a snail shell placed on top of a rocket with Einstein’s face sticking out from the shell. Einstein’s face looks decent, all wide-eyed with his tongue sticking out. The sculptor Jürgen Goertz made it and was trying to make a satirical statement about man’s quest to conquer nature but ended up just creating a shitty statue. Luckily, it’s shitty the same way “The Room” is a shitty movie: I know it’s shit but I still gotta see it.

Einstein Fountain
The Einstein Fountain was on the opposite side of the city from my hotel. I intentionally stayed away from the church to take in fresh sites on the way back. On the north end of the city center, I came across another piece of the old medieval wall that surrounded the city. On top of this section of wall are small homes called “Rampart Houses”.

Rampart House From Above
I haven’t been able to find out much about these homes because they aren’t mentioned much when you look them up. From what I could gather, the homes were built in between 1610-1634 when war was close to Ulm. Whether they were built to protect the citizens or to house more soldiers, I’m not too sure. What I can tell you is that they are very cool. It’s like a mini-city atop a city. The homes are well kept and a footpath out front connects them. They are accessible by walking up ramps just wide enough for a car if you need to drop off something big. The backsides of these homes look straight down the wall. Now that I think of it, probably a fire hazard but that’s a small price to pay for living on a fucking castle wall!

My Russian Friend

I took some pictures of the houses from up top and down below. This is where I made a Russian friend. After taking a picture from the street opposite the wall, my Russian friend pulled his BMW to the curb and called out to me in German. I told him I only spoke English to which he replied, “I’m Russian. My friend, my friend, why do you take pictures, my friend?” I don’t know what I said exactly but something along the lines of being a tourist while pointing at the wall. “Is it me?” he yelled. I was super confused so he elaborated. “Is it me for photo? Are the pictures for me?” he said with a very nervous look on his face.

Rampart House From Below
I thought to myself why would I take pictures for this dude I never met? Then I understood he thought I was taking pictures of him, not for him. Now his look of nervousness was bordering on paranoia and I don’t know if you’ve ever had a large Russian man give you a look like that but it’s not super awesome.

“No, no, no, not for you,” I responded, “Castles. I really love castles.”

If reading that seems stupid, imagine how I felt when those words left my mouth. Luckily, that seemed to soothe my Russian friend. His face got less tense and his bulging eyes reset themselves in their sockets. “Castles? Yes my friend, I love castles too. Have a good day, my friend,” and with that he waved, gave his horn a toot-toot and drove off into the Ulm morning.

With that, I skedaddled back to the hotel before I could make any more friends.

Back at the hotel, I grabbed my backpack and joined my fellow travellers for breakfast. This was not your ordinary continental buffet. There was fresh meat, fresh cheese, a frickin’ waffle maker, fruit, oatmeal, etc. It’s also where I fell in love with a machine. They had a coffee machine that could make cappuccinos, lattes, mochas, macchiatos, better than Starbucks. I am not proud of how much coffee I drank but let’s just say I had no trouble staying awake on the train ride back to Munich.

Speaking of the train ride back to Munich, I made another friend. This dude was roughly 7ft tall, wasted, and heading to the Bayern Munich game with his mates. It was noon. The game was at 7pm. Surprisingly, he loved America. Specifically, he loved 7-11’s and Miami. I was bracing myself for a 2 hour train ride and being forced to talk to this dude the whole way when he mercifully passed out in his seat.

I looked back at Ulm as the top of the cathedral faded into the countryside. With nothing but rolling hills and woods between Ulm and Munich I thought to myself, “Damn, I would’ve loved to see that fucking Bread Museum.”

Would I Go Back?

Yes. Would I book a trip specifically to go to Ulm? Probably not, but it’s worth a day trip if you’re in Munich or Augsburg. Maybe stop off for an afternoon on your way to Frankfurt.

How Do I Get There?

There are trains leaving from Munich HBF every half hour or so.

What to Avoid


Paranoid Russians, drunk Germans.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Munich, Germany 2019

Nothing is Scary Anymore Except Real Life Part 3: Resurrection Mary

Shappy's Guide to the Lower East Side